Sunday, November 11, 2007

Weekend update

It's been a quiet but fruitful weekend, at least if one lowers the bar far enough. Uganda is filled with cows and goats, and yet it's been impossible to find good cheese - until today. I'm sitting with a half kilo each of parmesan and mozzarella. It's difficult to cook good pasta without a little cheese. Secondly, I finished reading "Special Topics in Calamity Physics," the first book by author Marisha Pessl. The hyper-referenced writing is enjoyable and the plot, essentially a mystery, pulls you along quickly - although you can't help but be conscious of the extended Scooby-Doo moment (without the criminal's confession) as book reaches it's conclusion. Somewhere in the book is a great quote about traveling, but since I don't have the book with me, you'll have to enjoy some other historic travel related quotes.

Next to a shot of some good, habit-forming narcotic, there is nothing like traveling alone as a “builder-upper.” - Robert Benchley

So far as my experience goes, travelers generally exaggerate the difficulties of the way. Like most evil, the difficulty is imaginary; for what’s the hurry? - Henry David Thoreau

The uses of travel are occasional, and short; but the best fruit it finds, when it finds it, is conversation; and this is a main function of life. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 comments:

Liana said...

Do you think that book would be good for our next book club? What do you mean by a "Scooby Doo" ending? Was it the Inn Keeper preteding to be a ghost?

I am having a lot of trouble getting into that collection of Wisconsin folklore. However, I am really enjoying the The Worst Hard Time. It's a collection of primary sources, interviews, meteorological data, and politics that led to and remember the Dust Bowl in the 1930s. If you are interested in joining a second book club, that book will be discussed sometime in December.

Miss you! I am really struggling with this job decision. I wish you were here to give me input and help me calm down. I think that I need to make a final decision Tuesday. Hopefully I will have all the data at that point and won't end up making an uninformed decision that I later regret...

Anonymous said...

Hard to believe you will be there only one more week. Looking forward to seeing you at Thanksgiving. As always Dad & I are enjoying your comments & photos. I am leaving for Madison this afternoon for a short visit (wedding stuff), hope to have dinner with Liana, Shaun, Chris, & Jen tonite. Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott...sounds like you are enjoying yourself! Mom, Jen, Shaun and I are at Shaun's place trying to think of somewhere to go for dinner. Shaun thinks he wants Thai, but I don't really think he knows what he's in for... Mom just got here a few minutes ago and she's going to help Jen with some Wedding planning, sounds like fun huh? Kinda wish I were in Uganda, probably more fun than Wedding planning! Anxiously awaiting your return so we can go cake testing, Craig's Cake Shop, here we come! Chris

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,

Dinner should be fun tonight!Better than cooking...but at least I wouldn't have to "reserve" the chicken that I will eat tonight....I enjoy reading your blog I hope there will be more stories to share when you return that you haven't blogged about. All is well in the states nothing as interesting as the experiences you are having. Hoping to get promoted w/ the job by my first year anniversary. Hmm.... Started dating this girl named Ana....pretty cool girl..... I have been dating her for a couple months now....it's been a long time since a relationship of mine has lasted longer than 24hrs. I do know her first and last name too!! Anyhow, I will talk to you later....see you at Thanksgiving!!!
Shaun

Anonymous said...

Scott,
I continue to enjoy your postings. Have you seen any soccer matches? What do people watch/do for entertainment there?
- Martinez

Unknown said...

Via this blog, Ed and I continue to enjoy learning about your 'adventures' while you are in Uganda. I know you will have lots to share at Thanksgiving; and we look forward to seeing you back in Madison, safe, and knowledgeable with the realization of the difference you are making while in Africa.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the cheese, Scott. I'm not sure I'd have the stomach for Ugandan Goat Parmesan, but when in Rome……or Uganda………

What you're doing over there is a pretty awesome thing, but it's a shame you're missing the Packer games, as insignificant as they are. They haven't played like this since the 90s. All the luck the Bears had last year is now with the Pack.

Looking forward to seeing you back in the States.