Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Wednesday

Wednesday afternoon and all is calm. I give a medical student lecture this afternoon and I will be trying to use Skype to call LL tonight. The main factor limiting its use here is that the internet connection is slow. I met up with Denis, the Ugandan doctor who has visited the UW and helped me set up this visit. We will try to see if we can get Skype to work at his office. Ideally there is a video function that can be used with a webcam when making a phone call, but I'm not sure how well that will work with the limited bandwitdth of the internet here.

Medical ward rounds today consisted of a few rarities, including probable tuberculosis of the spine, but also a refreshingly familiar case - alcoholic cirrhosis with full-body edema and ascites. It almost makes a person homesick to see such familiar pathologies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott-continue to enjoy the blog.
-Matt

Liana said...

Could you hear me clearly over skype? I only understood bits and pieces of what you were saying. Do other people reading the blog have suggestions about using skype? I enjoy reading your blog, Scott. It keeps me up to date on what cool things you are doing, and it lets me know that you are okay. If it doesn't work out with skype, then at least we have email and the blog.
Coca and I miss you. When all the workmen came and went to deal with the clogged drain, I think Coca was waiting for you to arrive too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott - I keep reading your blog entries. Hope you can find a substitute for the medicine you're taking-Larium. It is amazing how much rain can come down all at once. Hope your lecture went well today.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott
We are at your Mom & Dad's tonite for dinner & they showed us the pictures & comments you have written. We had a good American dinner of beef roast. We are so fortunate in the US. Everything you have written is so very interesting. Makes me realize what an intelligent grandson we have. God bless & take care. Love, Grandpa & Grandma Suds.