Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Trip to Kansas

Liana and I traveled to Kansas a few weekends ago to visit Rebecca, Bryan, Ava, and Olivia. The drive was definitely worth it, and I spent most of the time relaxing in the front seat. The weather was perfect-- sunny and 60'. Coming off of a cold, snowy winter in Madison, it was quite a treat to be able to play outside with Ava.



Rebecca, Bryan, and Ava were excellent hosts. Rebecca and Liana even had time to sneak out for a lunch by ourselves while Bryan watched the kids and me. Ava is a wonderful big sister. She loves Olivia a lot already, and Ava is very helpful whenever Rebecca and Bryan need an extra pair of hands.



Here Ava is helping me fill up my "fun ball" with dog food. Amazing how kids and dogs are both endlessly entertained by filling/emptying that thing!



Ava and I became fast friends, and Rebecca was kind to let me sit on her new couches. (Maybe Rebecca was just too tired to discuss it.) Ava is very grown up now. She speaks in complete sentences and thoughts. For example, while Ava and Liana walked around the neighborhood, she told her something like, "Let's go home. I miss my mommy. I love her very much." Ava also enjoys playing pretend. Here she is relaxing and catching up on her reading. Ava spotted Elmo in the pages, and kept flipping back and forth to find him again.



Olivia was only five weeks old at the time of our visit, so she spent most of the weekend asleep. Here Bryan and Olivia cuddle while I follow Ava around the house. Click on the picture to enlarge it and see Ava's crazy hair-do.



This is my favorite image from the trip. Rebecca looks great, and Ava and I are sort of looking at the camera. It's hard to believe that Rebecca and Bryan are responsible for TWO children now. They are loving, patient parents and they function very well on very little sleep.



In the first picture, Olivia snuggles with me on Liana's lap while I rest on Liana's ankles. In the second picture, Ava giggles while I tickle her. I could get used to this life!





Rebecca treated us to a campfire with hot dogs and 'smores.



It reminded me of backyard parties at their house in Madison. We spent many, many great evenings on that porch! Of course I miss being able to drop in unannounced, but we picked up right where we left off the instant that I arrived in Kansas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great recap! Thanks so much for making the trip down. We had a great time.

Anonymous said...

That was such a nice post, Liana! I really enjoyed reading it. Coca is just adorable!