Saturday, August 23, 2008

Garden Shenanigans

A virus - some type of mosaic virus - has attacked the zucchini. We still have had an adequate supply for the summer so far, so no big loss. Notice the "shoestring" appearance of the leaves.

The zucchini themselves take on a lumpy appearance. When gourds get this virus it looks kinda cool. With zucchini, more disturbing than cool. I haven't noticed a difference in taste, but I did find a lump on my shoulder the other day.

The pole beans are out of control. Notice them climbing up up above the trellis into the tree, probably reaching 12 feet. Why don't they tell you about this on the seed package? The production isn't that great yet, and there are a few reddish-yellowish leaves, which makes me wonder whether they are lacking in a nutrient or two.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that a virus caused that "bumping" on squash. Interesting!