Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Arrival


So I've safely arrived and I'm a couple of days into my trip. I had some doubts as the plane landed when it rolled by the wreckage of a small plane next to the landing strip. It was also raining. Apparently the crash happened a few weeks ago and there was still some investigation going on.

Mbarara is the name of the town I'm staying in. I have a bungalow in near the hospital where other visiting students, lecturers, etc also stay. Most of my time has been spent on the inpatient medical ward. The illnesses are dominated by HIV and TB. There is quite a bit of meningitis - bacterial and cryptococcal, also TB. Today I saw a case of rabies, which I will probably never see in the states. Diagnostics are limited to basic blood tests and plain xrays. Antibiotics are available but of a limited assortment.

7 comments:

Liana said...

oh, my gosh. How scary! I am happy to hear that you arrived safely. It sounds like you are getting to see some interesting cases that you wouldn't see so often at the UW. I am so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Scott,
Thanks for the photo of the plane...makes me feel so much better. Sounds like you have already been pretty busy. Looking forward to more commentary & pics. Love, Mom.

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott - Sounds like you're jumping right into the thick of things. Glad everything gone well for you.Did you fly in a smaller plane like the one that make it?

talk to you latter!

dad

Unknown said...

Scott, so glad to hear you arrived safely... and it sounds like you will learn about cases that you wouldn't be involved with if you were only seeing patients in the U.S. We realize what a difference you may make in an African's life. Good luck with all. Love, Ellie and Ed

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott-we're glad you made it there ok. Hope every thing went well with your flight. Hope you help all the poor people your such a good dr. and person.
Love Grandma and Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to following your experiences in Africa.

Aunt Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott, Wow, what an awesome experience. I am enjoying your postings daily, can't wait to read what tomorrow brings. Your pictures are great, all except the "bat cave". Thanks for sharing with us, have a great weekend. Love, Lori